Monday, July 20, 2009

Podcasting

1, 2, 3 ... You're on the AIR!





That was my first podcast. You might need this code to listen to it: http://www.upload-mp3.com/browse/sheryllee/26193

At first I had some issues downloading AVS Audio Editor. Because I have never done this before I figured I should download the completely documented version, so, if needed help, I would find it easily. However, after a few recordings, I realized that my first take was always the best cut. So, when I wanted to save it, it said it was a non-activated version. This stumped me since many websites and our textbook told us that this was a free open source! Finally, I realized that the unfinished beta version was the one that was free. I found the beta version easier to use than the completed version for purchase.

Little did I know that that was the easy part! I tried to find a good site that would upload my newly created mp3. I went to http://www.ourmedia.org/ but for some reason, this page would not load. I tried several times (it works now though). So, then I searched and went to http://www.mp3upload.ca/ and I signed up, however, their uploader is faulty and doesn't work! Then I found http://www.upload-mp3.com/ and was able to find the correct url - this site gave me several formats for possible embedding urls to use. I finally found the address that was compitable with the embedded odeo player I found during my online searches. Only then did it finally work. I did wish that I had a blog site that enabled embedding mp3s directly. Nonetheless now that I have the right tools, it is done and it would be much easier the next time.

Since I had so much trouble with posting my video on youtube, I was surprised how comfortable I was in creating a podcast, listening to the podcast, and sharing the podcast. I'm not so sure why... perhaps there's still some anonymity in who is speaking since you can not see me? Podcasting reminds me of the old PA systems we used to have in schools, except podcasts are very accessible, portable and can have a wide range of followers.


Does audio podcasting enhance the learning of students?
(Use of audio podcast in K-12 and higher education: a review of research topics and methodologies. By: Hew, Khe. Educational Technology Research & Development, Jun2009, Vol. 57 Issue 3, p333-357, 25p)

Some interesting statements I found in this article that I would like to comment on:

1. ‘‘listening is instinctual, [but] reading and writing are
not’’ (Clark and Walsh, p. 5)—that linguistic psychologists have found that unlike reading and writing, children do not learn how to understand the spoken word, but are hard-wired with the skill (p334)


I agree with this. It is very hard to speak a language without hearing it first. Otherwise pronunciations would be wrong, accents, tones, etc. Sometimes speaking a new language you need to mimic another person's way of speaking this language first.

2. "the spoken word can influence a learner’s cognition (adding clarity and meaning)
and motivation (by conveying directly a sense of the person creating those words) (p334)


I agree with this. For example, there are words that I understanding from listening to it. However, when I see this same word in a text, I will treat this word as a new vocabulary I haven't learned. Yet when I hear it, I can recall when I heard it last and recall the context it was used and remember the meaning of the word.

3. "auditory learning is convenient, portable, flexible, etc. (p334)"

Who can agrue with this statement? However, professors and teachers are afraid that podcasts will encourage absneteeism in their classes because they can retrieve the lecture later (p335). However there is no live interaction with podcasts. The students would have to listen passively and if they had a question or needed feedback from the teacher, they wouldn't have the opportunity to ask the professor.

4. "Japanese students regarding their experience in using supplementary
podcast in an English as a foreign language course. The study found that most students
felt that utilizing podcasts could enhance their learning of English (p348)"


Like I mentioned in my podcast, when learning a new language, listening and speaking the language yourself will increase your language development since there are so many aspects to learning a new language. For example, my French reading and writing skills are stronger than my speaking and listening skills, however, when I was in Morocco, I couldn't communicate as well as I would have like in French because no one understood my wrong accents and tones of the words. If I could remember how someone else pronounced it, I could mimic it and there would be a higher possibility of someone understanding my spoken French.

5. "Students in these studies typically pointed out that the use of podcast
enabled them to listen to specific information or material they had missed or did not
understand multiple times (p.348)"


When sitting in a lecture, sometimes you may miss information, either due to distractions, lack of vocabulary, or just unable to grasp the concept. However, if you could replay it several times, this might help one to take the time they needed to fully absorb the concept.


Podcasting in the classroom and library?
This is a very affordable tool. And if your school has their own server, well, then we can worry less about privacy issues. My students generally need to improve their verbal language aquisition. Often when we choral read or read in pairs, it is hard for me to individual pick out which student mispronouned the word. I think if everyone choral read into a microphone, I could check for participation, and I would be able to listen carefully as to which words and sounds the students need more help with. This would also be a great tool for students to practice their presentations. They could record their words, and playback to themselves or have peers listen to it to give feedback. This way they can really focus on their clarity, volume, etc.

In the library, we could have virtual literature circles, where the groups can record their ideas and share with other group members anywhere. Podcasting students reading passages out loud would also be an interesting way to promote reading and have "real" student reviews. Students who don't like to read are less likely going to read a written book review. Perhaps this is also a medium for students to read their own written work to share with other students. We could create student audio story collection podcasts, etc. There are so many possiblities!

2 comments:

  1. I like your idea of using podcasting for virtual literature circles.

    Even taping the conversations for others to listen to would help students hear how literature circle discussion should be done. I usually model with a group of students who I know will do well but I think using podcasting would make the students listen to how they should sound, which really is the most important part.

    Did you check out the ESL podcast site?

    Great post:)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea of a virtual literature circle is an interesting one--you could even extend that beyond your own classroom/school and share these podcasted literature circles with students from other schools in other countries...maybe organize a "one book, two schools" kind of event. You could do this kind of thing using skype too and then record the skype conversations and save them as a podcast which could then be shared with others at a later time. Interesting ideas!

    ReplyDelete