Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Disadvantages Of Social Bookmarking

  • lack of structure in social bookmarking

    tags: inaccurate, tagging, lack, of, standards

    • One draw back with this tag-based system is that there are no standards set for the keywords, controlled terms and vocabulary used. This can create a problem, especially since the tag-based system relies on people, and not on any program created in the Internet. This means that this type of system is not flawless in terms of organizing its different bookmarks since the people are the once organizing the tags, thereby creating an inconsistent standard and management system for tags. People who create the tags just create them according to their own accord, creating confusion with the other users who rely on the tags to find what they are looking for in these social bookmarking websites.
    • The lack of standards for tag structures, such as capitalization, singular vs. plural, as well as other similar issues, in social bookmarking makes it susceptible to mistagging. This can be caused by misspelling certain words, by tagging certain subjects using keywords that have two or more meanings, by tagging websites and/or Web pages with unclear tags caused by synonym-antonym confusion, or by using unorthodox and too “personalized” tags that other users will not be able to understand or decipher what the tag is about. Aside from these problems, social bookmarking is also susceptible to corruption and collusion due to its popularity. This type of system can be used by users to help make their Web page or website more visible in the Web by optimizing their search engine results.

      • the unstructured system of tagging is an issue that could cause some searches to not be accurate as it could be and possibly make searches off-topic depending on each person's interpretation or reference to tagged words - post by sherylslee

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

1 comment:

  1. HI Sheryl,

    I too worried about tagging. I do like the way delicious shows all the tags that are populay for shared url's. This made it much easier for me and taught me how to tag.

    I was such a newbie! I wanted to write complete sentences in my tag, hee hee. Now I get it, and use the undescore line to combine two_words.

    Also I am now linked toJoann'es bookmarks - I feel like I have a ealth of information at my fingertips!

    I think delicious is delicious.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete